Research – HG Insights reveal the findings of an independent global research study on experiences and attitudes of IT decision-makers around data management.
The research, commissioned by StorageCraft, reveals global concern about the business impact and risk from rampant and unrestricted data growth. It also shows that the IT infrastructures of many organizations are struggling, often failing, to deliver business continuity in the event of severe data outages.
Data volume will increase 10x or more in next five years
The vast majority (86%) of respondents believe that data volume will increase 10x or more in the next five years. When asked about the potential impact of this growth, 80% expressed concern about the risk and the business impact it will have on their organization.
The research reveals far-reaching business implications with respondents citing the following potential risks from not being able to manage data growth adequately:
- 64% expect an increase in operational costs
- 47% foresee an inability to recover quickly enough in the event of a data outage
- 39% anticipate they will be more susceptible to security risks
- 29% envisage that strategic projects will fail
- 25% predict that revenue generation will lag
Organizations are already struggling with data growth and their ability to recover in the event of an outage.
- Only 15% of respondents have an IT infrastructure that enables them to recover from a severe data loss within an hour
- 40% believe it would take up to an entire day to recover
- 25% estimate data recovery would take them days or weeks
Organizations cannot keep up with volume and complexity of data management
“Despite IT managers’ heroic efforts to maintain the performance and continuity of their IT infrastructures, we are reaching an inflection point where organizations cannot keep up with the volume and complexity of data management,” said Shridar Subramanian, vice president of marketing and product management, StorageCraft.
“The fact that a quarter of companies participating in the research are unable to recover from an outage for days or even weeks highlights how widespread this issue is. Businesses of all sizes and industries strive to flourish in increasingly data-driven economies. To succeed, their IT infrastructures require an economically viable and contemporary scale-out data protection system.”
A total of 709 qualified individuals completed the research study. All participants had budget or technical decision-making responsibility for data management, data protection, and storage solutions at a company with 100 – 2,500 employees. The survey was fielded in Australia, Canada, France, Germany and United Kingdom.
- The HG Insights Platform provides an unrivalled view of business continuity and data protection solutions worldwide, allowing you to identify the most lucrative opportunities and grow your wallet share. Contact us today to see how you can make technology intelligence your strategic advantage.