Research – HG Insights uncover the key takeaways from Healthcare Cyber Heists in 2019, a report on the state of cybersecurity in the healthcare industry.
The study from Carbon Black, features direct input from 20 industry-leading CISOs to determine how attackers have evolved over the past year.
“The potential, real-world effect cyber attacks can have on healthcare organizations and patients is substantial,” said Rick McElroy, Carbon Black’s Head of Security Strategy and one of the report’s authors. “Cyber attackers have the ability to access, steal and sell patient information on the dark web. Beyond that, they have the ability to shut down a hospital’s access to critical systems and patient records, making effective patient care virtually impossible.”
Key findings from the report:
- 83% of surveyed healthcare organizations said they’ve seen an increase in cyber attacks over the past year
- Two thirds (66%) of surveyed healthcare organizations said their organization was targeted by a ransomware attack during the past year
- Two thirds (66%) of surveyed healthcare organizations said cyber attacks have become more sophisticated over the past year
- Nearly half (45%) of surveyed healthcare organizations said they’ve encountered attacks where the primary motivation was destruction of data over the past year
- One-third (33%) of surveyed healthcare organizations said they’ve encountered instances of island hopping on their enterprises over the past year
- One-third (33%) of surveyed healthcare organizations said they’ve encountered counter incident response over the past year
‘Well-being’ evolves to include cybersecurity
The phrase, ‘First, do no harm,’ is commonly referenced among medical professionals to reflect the utmost importance placed on patient care. The sentiment is clear – above all else, a healthcare professional should consider patients’ well-being. However, in 2019, ‘well-being’ has evolved to include privacy and cybersecurity concerns.
- The HG Insights Platform provides an unprecedented view of cybersecurity initiatives worldwide, allowing you to identify the most lucrative opportunities and grow your wallet share. Contact us today to see how you can make technographic insights your strategic advantage.